Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of questions do you have?


Medical FAQs

Q: Are you a licensed medical marijuana center?

A: Yes, all six of our medical marijuana centers are licensed by the city of Denver and state of Colorado.

Q: Do I have to be a member medical patient to shop at The Clinic?

A: No, you do not need to be a member medical patient to shop at The Clinic. As long as you have a valid Colorado issued medical marijuana registry card and meet our store specific age restrictions, you may purchase your medication at The Clinic. For any of our locations that serve both medical and recreational customers, you must be 21 years of age or older.

Q: How do I become a member and what are the benefits?

A: Becoming a member medical patient at The Clinic means you are assigning us as your primary medical marijuana center, responsible for growing your allowed 6 cannabis plants. Benefits include, but are not limited to:

  • Upon assigning The Clinic your primary MMC, receive $100 worth of free Clinic product (must spend $50 during that purchase). Every year upon renewal, receive the $100 without having to make a purchase.
  • Lowest prices available at The Clinic, $10 off every gram of concentrate, $5 off every eighth, and $2 off every joint and edible. *discounts listed are based off of non-member price.
  • Receive a punch for every $40 spent on full price Clinic items.
  • Member only coupons through our E-mail Newsletter.
  • Periodic Member Appreciation Day with Tier drops on every price point.
  • Receive one complimentary exit package.
Q: Do your stores sell recreational cannabis?

A: As of right now, four of our six locations are licensed to sell recreational cannabis to adults 21 years of age or older: The Clinic Colorado, The Clinic Highlands, The Clinic On Colfax and The Clinic Paris.

Q: How do I obtain my medical marijuana card?

A: In order to be placed in the registry and to receive a registry identification card, an adult applicant must reside in Colorado and submit an application form supplied by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

The adult applicant must do all of the following in order to satisfy the application process:

  • Certification must be obtained from a physician licensed in Colorado verifying diagnosis of a debilitating condition which may be alleviated by the medical use of marijuana.
  • A completed application form with a physician certification form (or other documentation provided by the physician) and a non-refundable $15 application fee must be sent via certified mail with return receipt requested to:
    Application Processing
    CDPHE HSV-8630
    4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
    Denver, Colorado 80246-1530
  • Payment by check or money order must be made payable to CDPHE. Do not send cash.
  • A return receipt is required by The Clinic to prove that the state has received your physician’s recommendation and application.

The registry will verify the licensure status of the physician and will contact the physician to verify the certification. Verifications will occur within 30 days of receipt of the application. The registry will mail the patient and his/her primary caregiver (if applicable) medical marijuana registry identification cards within 5 days after verification.


Under Colorado state law, patients with temporary paperwork can only purchase medical marijuana if they are 1) a new Colorado mmj registry patient, and 2) are within 35 days of the date on the stamped return receipt from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment. Patients who are in the process of renewing their Colorado mmj registry license may not purchase medication with temporary paper under any circumstance.

In lieu of this law, we strongly recommend that you begin your renewal process 45 to 60 days prior to date that your current medical marijuana license expires, so you can avoid a lapse in your license and ability to receive medical marijuana at our dispensaries.

Q: Are there any membership fees associated with The Clinic Medical Marijuana Center?

A: No. There are no membership fees or dues.

Q: What are your hours of operation?

A: We are open seven days a week, 9am to 7pm. Please be aware that holiday hours may vary.

Q: Do you provide a delivery service?

A: No, a delivery service is not currently provided.

Q: What kinds of medicine do you carry?

A: We carry medicines with a variety of delivery systems. Our inventory consists of unique strains of traditional marijuana for smoking and vaporizing, as well as edibles and tinctures for oral consumption. Our product line and selection is consistently changing to provide the latest popular varieties and exclusive strains that cannot be found at other dispensaries.

Q: What are the benefits of using a medical marijuana center?

A: If you are unable or unwilling to grow your own medicine, caregivers and dispensaries can assist you by providing a wide selection of medicine for patients.

Q: Is there a limit to the amount of medicine I can buy at one time?

A: Yes. According to Colorado Amendment 20:

“A patient may engage in the medical use of marijuana, with no more marijuana than is medically necessary to address a debilitating medical condition. A patient’s medical use of marijuana, within the following limits, is lawful:

(I)No more than two ounces of a usable form of marijuana”

Recreational FAQs

Q: How old do I have to be to purchase, possess or consume retail marijuana?

A: You must be 21 and older to buy, possess or use retail (recreational) marijuana. It is illegal to give or sell retail marijuana to minors.

Q: What is the difference between medical and retail marijuana?

A: Only licensed retail marijuana stores may sell recreational marijuana, and only to those 21 and older. Medical marijuana requires a state marijuana registry card, which can only be obtained by Colorado residents with a recommendation from a doctor that a patient suffers from a debilitating medical condition that may benefit from medical marijuana. Medical marijuana patients can obtain marijuana from a licensed center, a primary care giver or self grow.

Q: Where can I purchase retail marijuana?

A: Those 21 and older can purchase retail marijuana at licensed retail stores. Other municipalities in Colorado also allow retail marijuana stores. Please go to each city’s website to determine specific marijuana sale and consumption laws.

Q: Where am I allowed to consume retail marijuana?

A: Retail marijuana is intended for private, personal use. Such use is only legal in certain locations not open or accessible to the public. Marijuana may not be consumed openly or publicly.

Q: Can I consume marijuana in public?

A: No, it is illegal to consume marijuana in public. This includes but is not limited to areas accessible to the public such as transportation facilities, schools, amusement/sporting/music venues, parks, playgrounds, sidewalks and roads and outdoor and rooftop cafes. It is also illegal to smoke at indoor-but-public locations like bars, restaurants and common areas in buildings.

Q: Can I possess marijuana? And how much?

A: Since Amendment 64 went into effect in late 2012, adults 21 and older have been allowed to possess up to 1 ounce of retail marijuana.

Q: How much marijuana can I purchase at one time?

A: Colorado residents 21 and older can purchase and possess up to 1 ounce of retail marijuana at a time. Non-residents can purchase up to ¼ ounce (7 grams) at a time.

Q: Can I consume marijuana in a licensed retail store?

A: No, it is illegal to consume marijuana in or around a licensed store. It is also illegal to smoke at indoor-but-public locations such as bars, restaurants and common areas in buildings.

Q: What are the consequences if I violate marijuana laws?

A: Penalties range from a fine to a possible jail or prison sentence. Colorado State Statutes and Denver Revised Municipal Code spell out the specific penalties for various violations. Schools, universities and employers are allowed to put in place their own disciplinary actions for marijuana-related infractions.

Q: Are the rules different for possession and consumption of edible marijuana than for marijuana that can be smoked?

A: No. Possession laws are the same for all retail marijuana types, and public consumption is always illegal, regardless of form.

Q: Can I have marijuana in my car?

A: Yes. Marijuana may be carried in cars but it may not be in an open container and cannot cross state boundaries. It is illegal to use or consume marijuana in a motor vehicle and it is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana.

Q: Is there a DUI-like equivalent for driving under the influence of marijuana?

A: Yes. It is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana and it can result in a DUI, just like alcohol. Anyone with 5 nanograms or more of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (known as THC) per milliliter in whole blood (CRS 42-4-1301) while driving can be arrested for DUI. The consequences of DUI is dependent on the driver but they can include fines, jail time and a revoked license.

Q: Can I take marijuana through airport security or travel out of state with it?

A: No. It is illegal to take marijuana across state lines. DIA prohibits possession, use, display, and transfer of all marijuana on its property.

Q: Can I smoke marijuana in a taxi or limousine in Denver?

A: It is illegal to smoke marijuana in a taxi, limousine or any form of government-operated mass transportation.

Q: Can I consume marijuana inside a smoke-friendly hotel room or on a hotel balcony?

A: It is up to the discretion of the hotel if it allows marijuana smoke to be consumed in their smoking rooms (the Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act limits all smoking to at most 25 percent of rooms). You should ask the hotel if they allow it. Denver city laws prohibit marijuana consumption on hotel balconies if visible from any public place.

Q: Do the laws of Denver apply elsewhere?

A: Denver ordinances only apply within the City and County of Denver. Please go to each city or county’s website to determine specific marijuana sale and consumption laws.

Q: Does Denver have additional prohibitions on use or display of marijuana?

A: It is illegal to consume, use, display, transfer, distribute, sell or grow retail marijuana at or within any park, parkway, mountain park (including Red Rocks) or other recreational facility, on any city-owned property (including streets and sidewalks) within 1,000 feet of a public or private elementary, middle, junior high or high school and on the 16th Street Mall (including any city street or sidewalk one block in either direction from the mall). Additionally, DIA prohibits possession, use, display and transfer of all marijuana on its property.

Q: Are there additional restrictions on public consumption of marijuana in Denver that I should know about?

A: On residential private property, retail marijuana consumption in any outdoor location is illegal unless the person is the property owner or lessee or has been granted express or implied permission by the property owner or lessee. On private non-residential property, marijuana consumption is illegal in any outdoor location if it is clearly visible from a public place.